Sunday, March 25, 2012

16 Mile Marathon Predictor Run and a Shamrock Shuffle Viewing Fail

Well, the power went out last night for some reason, and this woke up my dog and the neighbor's dog who was staying the night.  Anyway, this made the dogs get anxiety and shake for an hour.  After an hour of consoling them in the middle of the night, the thought of waking up at 5am and running 16 miles THEN going downtown to watch the Shamrock Shuffle was a little much.  So, I decided I would wake up at 7:30, walk the dogs, then take a train to the Shamrock, watch the race, then run 16 miles home.  I got to the train at about 8am and stood on the Western Brown line platform. Then waited for the train.  Then waited and waited until at last I could see an inbound train in the distance at around 8:15.  As the train was approaching the platform I realized I'd never make the race in time.
So, I left the platform, ran home, dropped off my camera and left for the round trip run to Navy Pier to do my Marathon Race Predictor Run. 

Marathon Predictor Run:
According to Mcmillan Running there are "3 Best Marathon Predictor Workouts:"
The first one is the "Fast Finish Long Run."  The fast finish long run is when you run the first 8 miles of your 16 mile long run at steady running pace, then over the last 8 miles of your run, you run faster and faster.  The "average" over the last 8 miles is the pace you can likely sustain for the marathon.
Here are my mile splits from my 16 miler to Navy Pier and back.  The final 8 will be used to predict my Boston Marathon pace:
First set of 8 (warmup): 8:05,7:44,7:43,7:22,7:21,7:27, 7:22, 7:28 = 7:34.
2nd set of 8 (marathon predictors): 7:30,6:58,7:01,7:10,6:57,7:01,6:59,6:49 = 7:03.

Hey, I know what time a 7:03/mile marathon will be.  It is the same time I ran the LA Marathon last year.  3 hours and 5 minutes.  What a coincidence!  I am pretty much in the same shape as I was last year at this time!
So, if all goes well, I should be able to run around a.... 3:05 Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment