Monday, March 11, 2013

Two Inspirational Running Stories

If you're in a "running funk" or just need a little push to run faster or longer, nothing beats seeing or reading about real people in action doing inspirational things that show us how great running can be.

This week, I read two stories about two remarkable masters aged runners. One is about a runner who runs for the sheer joy of running and the second is about a man who ran faster than even he thought possible:

#1) Backwards Runner - His name is Cedric Givens. He is 60 years old, but doesn't look it. He runs through Washington DC backwards almost daily. He has been called names and even had trash thrown at him while he runs backwards and spins around, but not everyone thinks he's crazy. In fact this story and video of his daily run through DC is inspiring and the it's hard not to be moved by the constant smile that running brings to his face as well as to those people he runs past. Read the article here. See the video below:

#2) 46 year old breaks 4:20 in the mile: - His name is Brad Barton and he is 46 years old. A little over a week ago at a track meet, he broke the 45M indoor mile record by almost 4 seconds. His time was an astounding 4:16.84. Barton is currently coached by his college track coach and has his sights on the outdoor mile age group record. According to this story, his son who is a Division I collegiate runner,called him an old man. He was told by his dad that he can't call him old until he can beat him in the mile! Touché Mr. Barton.

Anyone else read/see anything inspiring this week? 

10 comments:

  1. These are both really cool stories! I'm especially inspired by the second one. I feel like I started running pretty late, since I never did it as a kid, so it's cool that this guy is outrunning his son!

    Last week my dad told me that my grandpa used to run 5 miles daily, which I somehow never knew. I thought it was pretty cool that he ran that far, that often, and well into his 60's and 70's. Hopefully I got some of his good genes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your grandpa running 5 miles daily is awesome and I hope to be like him when I get to be that age!

      Delete
    2. Apparently he started running just to exercise the family dog, so I think a furry friend may be the secret :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, furry friends are great motivators. I get three walks a day with mine. It would be great if all of the dog owners on my block would at least walk their dogs once a day! I am guessing only about a third of the dogs on my block get any more exercise than a couple of backyard bathroom breaks a day.

      Delete
  2. Those are both very inspirational.

    My all time favorite is Mr Ed Whitlock. At age 81, he ran a 3:30 marathon Thats 5 minutes faster than my best, and i'm 50 years younger than him! *and also worth mentioning he ran a 2:54 at AGE 73!! His story is crazy inspirational. (and he trains in a cemetery)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is totally inspirational. A 2:54 at 73?! Awesome. I wish I could run in Graceland Cemetery, but they have a security guard at the gate who shoos runners away. It is huge and just north of Wrigley.

      Delete
  3. Yay! This is just what i needed :) My inspirational runner (running marathons over the age of 100!) recently retired, so i need some new motivators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's too bad that dude retired. Oh well, if I retire from running at 100, I will be cool with that, because there is always hang-gliding to fall back on! :-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, love those stories. I will NEVER run a 2:54, that is fast for an average runner let alone one who is in their 70's?!?!?! Man, age is merely a number.

    ReplyDelete