Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Plan is, There is No Plan

Things I did this week:

  • Ran 13 miles outdoors
  • Joined the Welles Park Fitness Center ($22 for March)
  • Worked out on the machines and free weights twice
  • Ran on a treadmill for about the fifth time in the last 10 years
  • Swam laps at the Welles Park Pool for five hours

So, yes I have been running. Not much, but it's a start.  For now, my ankle can handle the low mileage. The big test will be to see if I can ramp up to something above 20 miles per week. If not, I will drop back down to 2 to 3 miles per day and just swim as much as possible to keep up my endurance. If my ankle doesn't agree to 20 miles/week, I will just lift weights and try to strengthen my ankle. 

So, my only goal is to not be injured on April 15th. I will arrive at the starting line of the Boston Marathon and when the gun sounds I will just try to finish the race by walking or running or a combination of both. 

I will endeavor to propel myself forward 26.2 miles collect my medal and then check the Boston Marathon off of my list. Then I will likely need a couple of weeks to recover!

Anyone doing the Get Lucky in two weeks? I am hoping I will be able to run/walk the half marathon to test my run/walk full marathon strategy. It may be a last minute decision.

4 comments:

  1. Jeeze, This ankle thing is lingering on and on... I feel your pain. Finally after 6 months- my god i cant believe its been that long?!? I dont feel it anymore- I also still use my stick to massage the outside of my leg which helps when its feeling tight. UGH Sending good vibes to your ankle!

    I'll be running get lucky in 2 weeks. We must have a blogger meetup if your ankle allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was running so much that it was masking long-term foot and ankle issues that are now taking a long time to heal. I am not patient and just want to run! Anyway, cool that you are doing the Get Lucky, I will have a better idea of whether I am able to do it by next weekend, then we can (hopefully) set up a meetup!

      Delete
  2. If you have access to a bike at the Fitness Center I would incorporate that. Another way to activate your running muscles is deep water treading with the running motion (essentially running in deep water). Do this for 30-60 minutes as time and the crowd in the pool allows. Otherwise, it seems like you may be aerobically fit, but your legs won't be ready for Boston. Squats without weights and straight leg lifts (you can do both of these any time--even watching TV) will also help you get up and down the Boston hills. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, I will try to incorporate the deep water treading and squats as you suggested. My legs need to get used to some stress, since I will have a lot of stress with the hills in Boston!

      Delete