Sunday, March 10, 2013

Snow is Melting

If I hadn't shredded my marathon training plan, put it in a shoe box and buried it in the backyard a couple of weeks ago, it probably would have told me to do my 16 mile long run today. However, I'm training by feeling now, trying to preserve my ankle. So today I felt that the longest distance my bum ankle could handle was 11 miles.

Even 11 miles was probably pushing it. So, in order to preserve myself for future runs, I did a run/walk interval combo:

3.1 miles @ 8:00/mile + 0.2 mile walk
3.1 miles @ 8:15/mile + 0.2 mile walk
3.1 miles @ 7:15/mile + 0.2 mile walk
1.1 miles @ 7:24/mile

I felt pretty good the entire time and even treated myself to a Dunkin' Donuts multi-grain bagel when I was finished. I think early and often walk breaks help speed up recovery (from what I've read).

Anyway, the snow and ice are melting down along the lake, so I wanted to get in a few more pictures of it before it is all gone!

At my turnaround near North Ave. beach
Harbor Ice #1
Harbor Ice #2

A lonely ice pancake floating out to sea...

Door to a  basement? I bet the basement is flooded!

I think this is a Goldeneye duck which doesn't fly further south in the winter than it has to. So it's vacationing in Chicago!


11 Miles Total @ 8:10/mile (including walks)
We'll see how the ankle feels later today!

13 comments:

  1. That door is completely random!

    What a great method to get your 11 in. I hope the ankle feels better and better! :)

    Is a Dunkin' Donuts bagel really a treat?! Maybe I should try that one. I stopped there once to get a blueberry one and had to spit it out, it was so dry. Sorry, NYC bagel snob, LOL! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the door is one of the sculptures along the lakefront. Yeah, admittedly the DD bagel doesn't hold a candle to your NYC bagels! Ironically, I actually can't stomach their donuts, so a bagel it was! :-)

      Delete
  2. way to get your miles in!! And as always, great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ice pancakes are awesome. I love that they are still hanging on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just need another cold snap for more of them to form. I guess I'm probably the only one rooting for that! :-)

      Delete
  4. Boo to the ice pancakes melting. I was up there today running with a group and almost shed a tear because they were almost gone. Glad I took a photo of them yesterday when they were still going strong!

    Hope your ankle feels stellar tomorrow!!!

    **Thats not a duck. Its a penguin. I swear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that you have a running group. It really makes the time go by faster with a group. Anyway, I hope the ice pancakes make a comeback this week with a cold snap, but I won't hold my breath! Thanks, so far my ankle feels good, but I will see how it feels in the a.m. Yeah, that bird could be a penguin, it sure looks like one! :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow, it's kind of amazing how much everything has melted down by the lake just since I was there on Friday! But not surprising with today's "warm" weather. I like the run/walk interval approach - I need to figure out some kind of plan like that for my half, since I'm pretty sure I'll need walk breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a walk break plan try checking out the Galloway Run-Walk-Run training/race approach. I have his marathon book and I believe I saw a half marathon book on his website: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/. One of his keys is to do the walk intervals early on in the race even though you are feeling good. He even has a plan for a sub 3 hour run-walk-run marathon!

      Delete
    2. Oh that's interesting! I know you mentioned walk breaks early above, but I really wouldn't have thought of that just because I'd still be feeling good. I'll check that out.

      Delete
  6. Great job getting in a long run and holding yourself back so you don't do too much too soon. I actually hope it stays in the high 30's-low 40's and clear (no more snow please) until after Boston. This weather is perfect for marathoning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, this would be perfect weather for Boston. Fingers crossed!

      Delete