Monday, October 18, 2021

This Run's For Jack 5k 2021 Race Recap

Sunday, I ran my first in-person race in over two years (last was June 2019). The race was the 2021 edition of "This Run's for Jack 5k" in Glen Ellyn. As for training for the race, I resumed run/walking two weeks ago after a one year running hiatus. I started with a one miler on a Monday, and maxed out last Thursday at 5.4 miles for 1.5 solid weeks of training. Although. truth be told, I wasn't a complete couch potato before that. I did a couple of longish weekend bike rides. Since Covid struck, I walk the dogs three miles a day, seven days a week. I also do yoga once a week. That said, I didn't know how I'd do in a 5k. I figured a 9:00, 8:30, 8:00 paces for an approximate 26 minute race might be a good target, considering the minimal focused training I did for the race.

Pre-Race:
I woke up at 5:30 am and did no shakeout run although I did walk the dogs a couple of blocks. After dropping them off at home, I grabbed a coffee and banana and made the trek out to Glen Ellyn, leaving just after 6:30am.

I arrived at the race at about 7:20 after crawling along the Kennedy through a single lane backup by the airport. Once at the race, my dad had my race packet and I pinned a bib on my shirt for the first time in over two years! The National Anthem was sung, and we were off!

The Race:
Mile 1: I started about ten rows back, assuming the first nine rows would be full of five, six and seven minute mile paced runners. Since my pace would be around eight minute miles I stayed back. Once the gun sounded, I realized that there were walkers and 15 minute milers in front of me, so I had to do some weaving. That said, the weaving might have been a good thing because it held me back a little during the first quarter mile. We wound our way downhill and around tranquil Lake Ellyn. 7:45/mile.

Mile 2: Mile two in this race has a super high incline (55 feet) for two blocks up Hawthorne Avenue. I slowed down during this stretch (along with everyone else). Following the hills there were some nice rollers which keeps the course interesting. 7:44/mile.

Mile 3: I got passed by a guy at the start of mile three and I was able to gasp out "nice job" to him and he said thanks. It's those little things about in-person racing that I guess I've missed. Lots of cheering by the volunteers kept the mood light and helped power me home. 7:27/mile.

Mile 3.13: I don't have the "jets" I once had, but gave it all I had. Near the finish, I was all by myself so I couldn't really key on anyone in particular to motivate me to try and pass. I came in with all I had and was finished!. 6:40/mile.

Stats:

Garmin Finish Time: 23:49
Garmin Pace: 7:36/mile

Place Overall: 25 out of 251
Place Age Group: 3rd out of 7

Analysis:
I surprised myself with my negative splits and running about two minutes faster than I planned for the 3.1 miles. Since the results aren't on-line (yet), I don't know too much about the number of runners in my AG and overall. However, at the race I typed my bib number into the computer at the results table and saw my placements.

So, taking a one year run break didn't really hurt me too much in my age group placement! Unless I start running in the CARA circuit, I'm starting to get so old that the number of runners in my age group are smaller than the younger age groups which gives me a decent shot at the podium.

Post Race:
I ran backwards through the course (using the sidewalk) and met up with my dad. I ran some of mile three with him and then left him for the last quarter so he could kick it to the finish by himself. I also got a picture of the homestretch:
The homestretch of "This Run's for Jack"

I picked up my 3rd place ribbon (there was no awards ceremony), and headed for home.

After a three day recovery this week, I'm likely going to ramp up my training at the end of this week for the Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 10k in November.

Next Up:
Lincolnwood Turkey Trot 10k, November 21st!

8 comments:

  1. Nice job Pete! It's great to know you didn't lose as much fitness as you thought! All the best with your TT training. Can't believe how quickly Thanksgiving is sneaking up on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think my race adrenaline took over and I surprised myself. Thanks Marcia!

      Delete
  2. Congrats Pete! It's so nice to see you back running again. Isn't it great being older, lol? There has to be something good about it and who doesn't love an AG finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great being older! Love the AG finishes. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice work! Can't ever argue with negative splitting a 5k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. I'm super happy I ran a negative split!

      Delete
  4. Dang, those are some awesome splits - much faster than your target!! I remember reading a long time ago that walking in and of itself is still pretty good training for running since your legs are moving either way, so it's good that the dogs are keeping you fit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! The dog walking has been key in maintaining and not totally losing my fitness. Plus I like getting fresh air with the dogs after we've been indoors all day.

      Delete