Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Can't Take the Race out of the Racer

This was going to be an easy for mile run/walk over the awesome Chicago River pedestrian bridge (2x) - down to Belmont and back home.

Chicago River Pedestrian bridge  (source)

However, when I got to the section under Irving Park Rd, just south of Horner Park, a runner was ascending the hill ahead of me. At first I thought that I would "draft" off of them by concentrating on their footfalls to "pull" me up the hill. Suddenly, I had the urge to pass them. So with a burst of speed I took off and floored it. Not wanting to look like I was competing with them, I had to keep up the same insane speed for another quarter mile, until I had turned the corner, run over the Irving Park Rd. bridge and was out of sight. Whew!

Needless to say, I was winded and walked the rest of the way home. I guess I really miss racing!

2 comments:

  1. That is a really cool-looking bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It is really a great addition to the city! It helped connect two separate pedestrian trails on either side of the river, thus making a new two mile uninterrupted trail going under the streets.

      Delete