Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My Profile in the Chicago Tribune's Marathon Section

Last month I was injured and was 50/50 on whether I would tackle the task of running the Chicago Marathon. One reason I was considering running it was the fact that I was going to be interviewed by the Chicago Tribune for their 2013 Chicago Marathon section. I was mulling the pros and cons of a marathon attempt despite my ankle injury, and one of the pros went something like this: "How could I possibly be profiled in a major newspaper for a marathon that I wouldn't even be running?". I know, fantastic logic, but there you have it!

A few days later, I was interviewed by a Trib reporter. After the interview was over, my head was swimming with memories of marathons past. I think it was at that moment that I decided to throw caution to the wind and start a nine week crash course training for the marathon. I'm still hanging in there with less that four weeks to go.

Yesterday, my profile was posted in the Trib on-line. You can read the whole thing here.

Screen shot of my Chicago Tribune Profile

One of the highlights was that I was able to get in a mention of our newly formed running club "Wurst Running Club Ever" and our Pint Night runs at Fleet Feet. We are becoming famous. My seven year old nephew even knows about our club now after reading the article.  He even got the play on the word "wurst" right away. I guess great minds think alike!

So, there you have it, my 15 minutes of running fame. Hopefully, the next time my name is in the Tribune is when it's in the list of all marathon finishers on Monday, October 14th! 

17 comments:

  1. This is so so cool, Pete! I can't believe I got to run with a celebrity last night (and on the same day as seeing the Joggler! Possibly my best day of running EVER). I wonder if the Trib will do follow-up with any of you after the marathon?

    And I appreciate that your nephew got the pun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please let me know if you want an autograph. I haven't heard if they want a follow up, but will keep you posted! :)

      Delete
    2. Could you autograph my dirndl shirt?

      Delete
  2. Dude, at this rate of training progression, you are going to be blazzzzzzing like snoop dogg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup except there will be no actual fire involved!

      Delete
  3. That is so neat that they featured you! And that you got your plugs in there too. Wait, what does "wurst" mean?

    JK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome story! I will have to hit one of those pint nights one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so now that you're famous, I hope you're not too good to run with me should you ever need to run a bit slower again in a race were both running :)

    Starting to think 9 weeks is "enough" time (if you have a base) because those 18 week programs are way too freaking long for me. I've been doing 14 weeks and possibly would go shorter in the future.

    You've got this! 3 weeks until game day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a future race we're both running together, I may have to speed up to keep up with you and all of your speedy BQ marathon training! Yes, I think 9 weeks should be enough time. You can get two long runs in and a time trial race. If you have a good base you can probably fit in three long runs.

      Delete
  6. You are a rockstar! What a fantastic article! Can I get your autograph now before the paparazzi take over and you become unreachable!?!?!? =D And so cool that you were able to help publicize the WRCE, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha. You are always welcome to an autograph! Yes, I am happy that the WRCE was included in the article!

      Delete
  7. Super awesome article! Big props to you! And please... you definitely WILL finish the race... I have no doubt about that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the publicity and I hope that your last four weeks of training are strong and happy!

    ReplyDelete