Friday, August 9, 2013

Rationalizing Running the Marathon. A Perspective from Injury Jail

Since I put myself in "injury jail" a few months ago, I have mentally run through several thousand reasons for and against running my up-coming marathon. One moment I'm all, "I simply can't run it", and the next second I'm all "What the heck, I'm gonna run it!" and I'll come up with lots of reasons to support my statements. These rationalizations range from the rational to the irrational. Here are just a few:

Pro Marathon Attempt:

  1. I already dropped the $170 on the race so why not have fun just trying to cross the finish line?
  2. If I at least walk/crawl to the finish line, I get a medal, and those medals are worth money, maybe even $100, which along with hawking my t-shirt would recoup most of my money!
  3. I may get interviewed for the Chicago Tribune's marathon edition, and of course I wouldn't want to be featured in the newspaper and end up not running the race!
  4. My doctor, after a two minute examination yesterday, gave me clearance, despite my symptoms
  5. Maybe the current state of my ankle and foot is just how it is going to feel forever, so why not get on with the running?
  6. It's not just any marathon, it's the Chicago Friggin' Marathon.
  7. The Chicago Friggin' Marathon will likely go to a lottery selection system next year, so it may be my last chance to run it, at least for a few years.
  8. Everyone else is doing it.
  9. I could use a run, oh yes, I could really use a run!
Me at the start of the 2012 Chicago marathon (Yellow Hat at tip of arrow)

Anti-Marathon Attempt:
  1. The $170 spent is already spent no matter if I run or not
  2. I could do further damage to whatever is causing my leg issue (even though my doc gave me clearance), thus throwing my fall/winter training in jeopardy
  3. If I over-train and then run a semi-fast marathon, it may take me maybe a couple of months to fully recover, thus setting my training back for a potential fast Spring marathon
  4. I've only got about seven weeks left to train and thus, it won't be a pretty marathon. Likely it will be just a slog. If it's hot that day, it will be a death march.
  5. If I simply rest for the next 8 to 10 weeks, I may feel a lot better heading into the magical fall/winter running season
  6. It's only a race, just focus on getting better


I have been patiently waiting for my legs to "unwind", hoping that this would put less pressure on my leg nerve and stop the tingling feeling. However, my dogs don't ever seem to want to relax. They still feel "battle-hardened" and tight. This is probably from all of the abuse I gave them earlier this year. In fact, I bet they could handle the punishment of a half marathon right now, that's how tight they feel.  If I play my cards right in seven weeks I could probably get them to handle 20 miles. If I throw in 6.2 miles of walking, I should at least be able to cross the finish line in one piece. But will it be worth it?

2012 - Pre Race
So do the pros outweigh the cons?

19 comments:

  1. Ok. So you've basically covered every possibility out there :)

    I'll tell you a short story and take from it what you may...

    2 weeks before I was to run the Miami marathon I strained my hip flexor real bad. Like couldn't lift my leg at all. And I was in tremendous pain. I stopped running and then ran the race because we had already paid for airfare hotel etx. It was a long race. Then I took off 3 months from running and cycled a lot because it didnt hurt the hip flexor. A month before shamrock I started running little by little. I still had pain but noticed it wasn't getting worse from running. I even ran some hard workouts to see if it would get worse. And it didnt. It would actually ach more if i didnr run. so I started amping up my running even though it still hurt. Basically from January until July I had discomfort until I got a massage that made me beg for mercy. Then I never felt it again. 7 freaking months. I tried to do the right thing and not run but after a few months I realized it wasn't getting worse or better. So I took a big chance and started running and training and eventually PR'd by 25 minutes in fox valley. This happened last year. Then my ankle started hurting 2 weeks before FV and took 4-5 monts until it didnt hurt but that's another less interesting story.

    So what I'm saying is, are you comfortable "testing" your ankle out to see if it will get worse or stay the same? perhaps you're only one violent massage session away from breaking up scar tissue and having your running life back. But of course I'm no doctor ;)

    I hope you figure something out soon. And knowing your analytical side, I'm sure you'll make the right decision :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that "short" story. :) Yeah, that's kinda where I was headed with my "current state" entry above. Maybe, it will "unwind" or resolve itself if I just start running, and if not, maybe I am not really doing any damage by running anyhow. I was actually also toying around with getting a massage at the fitness club, so I'm glad to hear massage worked for you. Maybe I'm dealing with lots of scar tissue that needs to break loose and stop the pressure on my nerve. Also you mentioned that you cycled for 3 months. Maybe I could cycle exclusively for 3 months and see how it is then. Besides, when I finish cycling my legs always seem to feel better than when I started. Not always the case with running! Anyway, thanks for your input, being in "injury jail" sucks mainly because it gives me too much time to second guess myself! :)

      Delete
  2. If running doesn't make it worse, then I say do what you can and go for it. In the mean time, as Xaarlin suggested, get massages, it will help! And make sure you get someone who KNOWS sports massage/therapy. You need somebody who can really help you out in that area.

    My strategy for CM12 was to run 4.5 miles, walk .5 mile, until I couldn't go any longer. I maintained that through mile 15, then pretty much walked the rest. So if you do go for it, perhaps some sort of run/walk will do you good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the more I hear from you guys, the more I think I need a proper sports massage. At the very least it will probably feel good and help my leg relax. Yes, I need to come up with a run/walk strategy that will get me to the finish line and where I will still have a good time! :)

      Delete
  3. You have more Pros than Cons. So there's that. I could also create a scavenger hunt for you to complete while you run (or walk) the race... wait, that might actually be pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are more pros than cons. So I guess the decision is made. Love the scavenger hunt idea. I'm in! :)

      Delete
  4. Give massage a try! I've been going regularly for my neck and it was worked wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it a try. Maybe this week if I'm able to get a slot. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. You DO have more pros than cons! I tend to lean more toward being cautious about injury if it's me, but then Xaarlin's "short" story does make me think maybe you should just go for it? I guess... okay, worst case scenario, you're going to continue to have pain - why not keep going as long as running doesn't make it worse or cause any serious, permanent damage? Or at the very least, go for the Chicago Marathon one last time before the lottery happens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pros do outweigh the cons. I think I may give it a go this week, just a handful of miles with cross training and a massage. I need to stop over thinking this, either do it or swear off running for a few months and see if that helps. The "one last time" thing is important as I may have to do some remote marathon next year instead. Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  6. You know, I was going to write a post like this, and still may, as I'm in an injury and waiting to see a doctor. So thanks for putting this out there! I have a hard time getting myself to say, oh I'll still run it, but just a fair bit slower.. that would take a lot of mental training for me to accept.

    I like what Xaarlin said a well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your injury. Just know that you are not losing any fitness for sitting out for awhile. I sat out for 6 weeks before NYC Marathon and had a spectacular 23 mile run. I probably could have gone all the way, but I got too amped up and out ran my pace and hit the wall. Anyway, a race strategy would be to run a little slower and then if you are feeling good at mile 20, let the beast out of the bag and start racing. That's a good marathon strategy regardless. Get well soon.

      Delete
  7. tough call, but at least you've got quite a decent pro's and con's list!

    i feel you, and i was in this position last year...sort-of. i still did the race, wasn't going to waste the $150, but i didn't race-race it. was able to recover quicker, took some time off afterwards, started from scratch again, and feeling loads better a year later. long process, but for me it was worth it. do you think you'd be able to still do the race and not all out race it? instead just do it for fun? have fun with your training and just take in the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story. Yes, I think I would be able to run it and not race it all out. I did something similar for Boston when I had a shortened training cycle. I don't have any illusions of greatness, just don't want the training and subsequent 26.2 to put too much stress on an ankle that should be mending. I also want to hop back into fall/winter running quickly after the marathon and not wait the two months to get the "Post-Marathon Groggies" out of my system! Oh yeah, and I would love to side five lots of people and bask in the excitement of the day! :)

      Delete
  8. The most important reason is that everyone's doing it, right?? I hope this magical sports massage does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, following the herd is the way to go! :) Thanks. I still need to make my appointment!

      Delete
  9. Solid list of pros and cons...I'd be tempted to run it too! It's such an amazing race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'm going to do it, if my ankle lets me!

      Delete
  10. It's the Chicago Friggin' Marathon!! I think you made a good decision. I really hope it doesn't go to a lottery next year, I really want to run it in 2014! My advice is to just enjoy the journey to the finish line. No pressure to be fast. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete