Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Chicago Marathon Training Week #2

When we last took a look at my Chicago Marathon training, I had just finished week #1 with a relaxed 16 miles. In week #2, I completely ignored the "10% Rule", and I almost doubled my miles from 16 to 30. And the results are in: So far, so good. Even though it would appear that I am overdoing it, I am consciously trying to avoid the "too-much-too-soon" syndrome that I often fall prey to when training. I am alternating medium runs with short recovery runs and that seems to be working well. However it's quite difficult to hold back on the mileage, especially when I read about other runners who are already in the 60+ mile per week range at this stage of the game.

I know what great confidence boosters those 60+ mile weeks are, and how I can feel the huge fitness gains after they are done. However, the potential injury downside to those high-mileage weeks is too great. I don't want to return to "Injury Jail" anytime soon, so I'm trying to stay focused on training for a fun and moderately-fast Chicago Marathon, and then start really training for a fast spring marathon. I have to keep reminding myself to not "let loose" in my training until I get to those fantastic runs by the lake in January and February.

My marathon P.R. finish line photo (March 2011)
In any case, I do have an "A" goal for the Chicago Marathon which I will share for the first time here: BQ at the Chicago Marathon. If my training goes according to plan, and if I run a smart, conservative race, I should be able to go sub-3:25, and BQ. I already have a BQ time from last year's race (3:10), which I could theoretically use for 2014. but it would be nice to know that I did it again. My "B" goal is to finish with a smile.

In other week #2 news, I worked out at the gym three times and did yoga twice. Week #3 is in progress...


10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a strong Week 2 of training and glad to hear that things seem to be holding up well! Since I tend to be injury prone myself, I am a big believer in the "less is more" theory when it comes to mileage. 60+ miles per week is beyond comprehension for me! It's hard for me to imagine NOT getting injured at that kind of mileage. I also firmly believe in the "B" goal of just finishing with a smile - and I am certain that you will obtain that goal easily!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I am slowly beginning to subscribe to your "less is more" philosophy. If I'm smart with my training, there is no reason I can't maintain speed and stay injury-free for a long time. It also helps that I am throwing other workouts in the mix and not just running (like I used to). A little strength training here, a little yoga there and I can keep improving my fitness without the detrimental repetitive stress on my joints and tendons. Either way, I am planning on finishing the marathon a smile!

      Delete
  2. I am so so so very happy to hear training is going well and presumably you don't have any lingering issues? If I don't BQ in fox valley I might have to try to keep up with you in Chicago- we have similar time goals :) and I love your B goal. That's always one of my priorities on race day. Happy week 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can still feel my ankle a little, but it's not that bad. I am really paying attention to it. I think when I run too fast then it starts to remind me to back off a little. Anyway, it would be awesome to run Chicago with you, but I'm confident that you will just be running Chicago as a "victory lap" after Fox Valley. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice jump in mileage! I find it's easier to ignore the 10% rule the longer you've been running. Are you planning to run Boston in 2014?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right about ignoring the 10% rule since I have been running longer than people just starting out. I just have to keep some kind of rule in the back of my mind (20%,30%?) so I don't wake up one week decide to go from a 30 mile week to an 80 mile week! :) I'm not planning on running Boston 2014, but you never know! :)

      Delete
  4. I was going to say the same thing as runningthewindycity - the 10% rule seems to not really matter when you have been running longer and know your body and what jump it can handle! That being said, I am happy you are taking it slower for you, despite seeing others at 60s, to make sure you don't get injured again. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you are a certified trainer, it's good to hear your professional input. It is tempting to put on my shoes for a few more "junk" miles per week, but that would be counter-productive. I will continue soldiering on, dreaming of my high mileage runs in the winter!

      Delete
  5. mileage percentage increase is directly related to sausage consumption and sausage puns. You'll be doing 100mpw in no time!

    Stay healthy!!
    I'm constantly paranoid that injury jail re-entry is one sidewalk crack away or one bad step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 100 miles here I come! :) That reminds me of how I rolled my ankle on the Lakefront Trail a mere 2 weeks before the Boston Marathon (that I ended up not running). Keep your feet on flat surfaces! :)

      Delete