Sunday, September 8, 2013

Chicago Marathon Training: Week #4

Rough Start
Week #4 of my Chicago Marathon training started out roughly. Sunday was my first run in the teens: Unfortunately, that didn't mean the temperatures, but the mileage, which was 14. Why did this run go so wrong? First of all it was hot 'n humid out and I got overheated at around mile eight and had to do lots of walking. Second, I forgot my Nip Guards and had bloody nipples for most of the run (I'm sure passerbys were grossed out)! Then to top off this craptastic run my Garmin deleted any trace of my splits after I turned off the watch. So, I was unable to analyze my run fail. On the bright-side, who wants to look at the results of such a run anyway? Also, on the bright side, I'm pretty sure that with this run I got the worst training run out of the way until the marathon. They should all be better than this one from here on out (knock on wood).

At the turnaround, not feelin' it!
Track Work
I went to the track for some Hansons Brooks mile repeats on Thursday. They are supposed to total six miles run at 10 seconds faster than marathon pace.
In the middle of doing my mile repeats at the track

1.5 mile warmup
2 miles at 6:52, .5 mile recovery
1 mile at 6:44, .25 mile recovery
1 mile at 6:39
1.5 mile cooldown

Analysis: I ran my mile repeats way too fast and ran only four of the six miles. However, my legs are not ready for six yet and I need to work on pacing. Better to work on these things now, rather than in October.

Summary
A solid, unspectacular week. Trying to not run 60 miles/week is my biggest struggle, but the general health of my legs is the big benefit of the lower mileage. Oh yeah, and I learned I need to remember Nip Guards on long runs!

Week #4 Total: 43 miles
Average Pace: 8:23
Other Training: 3 strength workouts and 2 yoga sessions

12 comments:

  1. Yikes! I've ended up with all kinds of weird chafing, but bleeding nipples - wow that sounds horrible :( Last weekend was just the time for bad runs, I think. Looks like we're in for more cooler weather by the end of this week, so hopefully that helps!

    Nice mileage and pacing though! Even if your runs didn't feel so great, your training this week doesn't sound all that bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a guy thing. Yes, please on cooler weather. Will the summer ever end?! The runs did not go as planned, and yes now that I look back, it doesn't sound all that bad! :)

      Delete
  2. For superior nipple protection - buy some liquid bandage, put it on those bad boys,then get some medical tape, something waterproof, and immediately put it on the liquid bandage before it dries. BOOM, glued on protection.

    If you want to keep up with the Hanson plan, this Tuesday is Strength - 2x3 mile repeats at -10 MP, with 1 mile jogs in between. Better to not do on the track they said as it can be a lot of ankle turning on there for the distance.

    Keep up the training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How hard is it to get the liquid bandage off? :) I've never heard about not doing mile repeats on the track because of ankle turning. I like the soft, even, flat track surface and the fact that I can just count laps without staring at my watch too much. However, the turns may be slightly bad for my ankle. Maybe I should reverse direction every now and then!

      Delete
    2. The tape comes off pretty easy (or at least you get used to the ripping. The liquid bandage gets peeled off with ease, sometimes a few flecks to work at. Nail polish remover or a new pasting of liquid bandage and cleaning it right then removes it too.

      The 1-3 mile repeats off track was just what the Hanson book has. Maybe more for the 1.5-3 mile range?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tips on the nips. :) Anyway, I need to get the Hanson book, I use their training plan from the Runners World article! :)

      Delete
  3. Still a solid week of training despite the setbacks. Hopefully you got your bad runs out of your system and the only runs left will be totes amazeballs. Hehe

    The nipple chaffing sounds awful. I can't fathom how bad that must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, my training runs should get better with increased fitness and cooler temps. Chafing is not fun, but it looks worse than the pain. BTW, Nice use of "amazeballs". I need to start saying that! :)

      Delete
  4. What, no pic of bloody nips?! You tease! jk!

    I love that for you you have to try hard NOT to run 60 mpw. You are such a motivated runner! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time it happens I'll make sure I get a picture for you! :) Yeah, I have a hard time knowing the marathon is looming and not running those standard high mileage weeks which will extend my marathon "collapse point". Instead, I have to watch tv or stay on the interwebs. :(

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about the bad run and the bloody nipples, but it's definitely good to get the bad runs out of the way in training rather than on race day. I have a theory that on average, approximately one out of every four runs is really good or really bad. So way to stack the odds in your favor when it matters most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I like you're theory about 1 out of 4 runs being really good or really bad. I heard that it is harder to be "good" most of the time, than it is to be spectacular once in a long while. I need to keep that in mind!

      Delete