Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spectating the "Short Course" Chi Town Half Marathon and 10k


I was running my one and only long run before Boston and it happened to coincide with the Chi Town Half Marathon and 10k. The races were held on the Lakefront Trail where I was also running.

 I arrived near Diversey Harbor at 8:45am about 30 minutes after the race started. I immediately saw a runner in an owl hat go by and knew it must be Xaarlin. So, I sped up and ran passed her to get a couple of shots of her running.


Xaarlin near the finish line
Almost there

I also got a video of her finish:

Xaarlin's 38:55 finish!

I knew that Xaarlin had been training extra hard this winter, but her time of 38:55 was phenomenal. However, it was not to be. Somewhere on the course she got misdirected and ended up running a short race. There were other runners in the same spot and they discussed what had happened.



10k runners discussing the short course
 I also noticed a couple of elite women who had just finished the half marathon in around 40 minutes, so they also ran a short course! They looked upset, and there was plenty of grumbling to go around. I needed to keep on my long run so I left. (BTW: There is youtube video later of the race director making a heartfelt apology and offering refunds to all misdirected runners. Hopefully, most of the runners are happy with that.)

I left the finish area to continue on with my long run and headed over to the Lakefront Trail.  I saw a lonely misdirected runner who was all by himself on the east side of Lake Shore Drive. He was watching the race runners on the west side of Lake Shore Drive. I spoke with him briefly, and he seemed confused as to what had happened. Luckily another runner who had also gotten lost showed him how to rejoin the race!

Another misdirected 10k runner watching the race on the other side of Lake Shore Drive
Anyway, on the positive side, I actually saw and got to say hello to Lindsay of Running The Windy City for the first time. She ran by me in the other direction, as I headed north. She is also training for Boston. Shortly thereafter, I was able to catch a video of the race leader:


I also got one of the 1:30 pace group. Chicago Runner Girl Britt was in the group. I cheered her on:

The 1:30 pace group

I ended up running the northern portion of the half course and then headed home. I got my 16 miler in with a few breaks for picture taking.

Me with sailboats in background
I don't feel very sore, probably thanks to the plentiful photo breaks. With this run, I am 85% sure I can make it to the finish line in Boston on April 15th as long as my legs can handle the hills. I have done zero hill training so far. Oops!

Total Miles: 16
Average Pace: 9:11 (includes breaks)

17 comments:

  1. Great job sort of spectating :) It's great the people you can see and meet on run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, there were lots of running bloggers out there today! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome photos and video! Was nice seeing you out there today! Bummer with the odd scenario that happened, but im still happy with how I ran and felt. Mistakes happen.

    Im happy you are 85% sure youll finish Boston. I'll give you much higher odds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was nice seeing you as well. I thought I would have more time to set up a spot to get a pic your finish, but I didn't have any time so I ended up sprinting! Anyway, you have a good attitude towards the race mishap. It was a speedy training run for you and you are completely going to annihilate your next "complete" race. You are due! :) Thanks for your confidence in my Boston odds. I hope you're right. I said 85% because I am not 100% confident that my legs can take a marathon pounding right now. But I have 3 more weeks to train, right? :-)

      Delete
    2. 3 weeks is plenty! :) You should probably start tapering soon...

      Thanks- it's a good feeling to be putting injury stuff behind, as I'm sure youre well aware.

      The brunch place was"Frances' deli " in Lincoln Park. http://francesdeli.com/ The food + milkshakes were awesome!

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine how I would feel if I was misdirected in a race. At least the director acknowledged it right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it stinks, but they did make up for it (kinda)!

      Delete
  4. You are such a fantastic spectator, those are great action shots and videos of Xaarlin, et al. What a bummer about the race being short but glad that the race director immediately acknowledged it!

    So glad that you are feeling good about Boston. You've been training so hard - you deserve it! And your legs WILL be able to handle the hills. I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes it seems to have turned out well (kind of)! Thanks for your confidence about my Boston attempt. I'll need it! :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh man, that sucks that some runners ended up on the wrong side of Lake Shore Drive! Geez. What a mess :( That's fun that you were able to see so many bloggers though! Good luck with the rest of your Boston training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was crazy seeing lost runners everywhere! It's fun that I got to run my long run around all of the bloggers on the trail! Thanks! :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're feeling good after your run yesterday! I couldn't believe all of the confusion with the race. Yikes.. what a headache!

    Nice to see you yesterday too- can you believe we only have three more weeks until race day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you too. Yes, it's hard to believe that the day is almost here! :-)

      Delete
  7. Yay! Happy to hear you are not feeling sore! :D :D :D

    Love the pics and vids you got. What a bummer for those guys getting so lost and being short. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was a little sore later, but that's to be expected after my first 16 miler in almost 5 months. Thanks. Yes, it was a bummer!

      Delete
  8. I am always amazed on your ability to take photos while running! I couldn't even tie my shoes if i had too. Good luck with the Boston taper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great spectator photos - I second Gingerfoxx's compliment on taking photos while running. I can barely take good photos standing still! Good luck w/ taper!

    Also, I nominated you for a Liebster award today -- congratulations!

    ReplyDelete