Sunday, March 3, 2013

In Search of the Giant Ice Pancakes

I haven't run on the Lakefront Trail in over a month. Due to my injury, I was sidelined for over three weeks then last week I ran a total of 14 miles in 2 to 3 mile per day increments. That's not enough mileage for me to run to the lake and back. Then, yesterday, I read Xaarlin's blog entry and saw her awesome pictures and video of the "ice pancakes" that had formed along the shore of Lake Michigan. I knew that I just had to put some bigger miles in, so I could get back on the trail in search of these magical ice formations! So I took off for a long run with my camera to take some pictures and videos of my search for the elusive ice pancakes. That is, if I was lucky enough to come across some!
Once I reached the lake, the first thing I saw some ice fisherman in Belmont Harbor
and then I spotted something in the water...
My first Ice Pancake sighting! but they are kinda small and hard to see...
then I saw the skyline...
and the sun on the lake.
I also saw ice ladders...
and ice ladders and the skyline....
and even ice rocks.
Could these be ice marshmallows?
Then I saw waves and ice posts...
and more waves by the ice posts...
and even an ice cable, but still no pancakes...
What's this? Could it be an ice pancake field?!
Yes! A giant ice pancake field! Chock full o' ice pancakes!
Ice Pancakes as far as you can see..
I even took a video of the ice pancakes in motion:

After shooting that video, I went further north, and I came across this heart-shaped i.p.
Then I found a harbor full of giant ice pancakes. Wow!
My day was complete. I found the incredible ice pancakes!

23 comments:

  1. seriously, wow! Those ice formations are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I really like these sunny winter days for taking pics of the ice formations! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Those pictures are amazing! I wonder if I can find something similar in my neighborhood! I'm going to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. What we need is more ice pancake pics!

      Delete
  3. YAY! You found them! And yay that you are out and about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was happy! Yes, thanks. So far so good...

      Delete
  4. Wow, great pictures! And the video is especially cool! I've never noticed ice pancakes before, I'm glad you and Xaarlin are tipping people off! Love the ice marshmallows too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what gorgeous pics...I love your blog! It brings everything to life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE all the photos! and I'm so happy you were able to see the giant ice pancakes. I saw people ice fishing in Monroe harbor. They even had a small tent set up on the ice to stay warm. CRAZY!

    So for get lucky, Im planning around a sub 1:45 finish.(Honestly not sure how aggressive I can be- maybe even closer to 1:40?!- that might be wishful thinking ha!) I usually start a bit conservative and then speed up. So if your ankle is able to run, you're more than welcome to join me for a part of it- of course, I dont want to hold you back Mr Speedy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those ice fishermen are brave/crazy. They have to be darn sure the ice will hold, and I wouldn't be so sure! :-) If my ankle holds, that 1:40 to 1:45 may be the right target for me. I guess my pace will be a race day decision, but I'd like to start slow as well. Sounds like you are getting faster. Nice.

      Delete
  7. What a way to make your comeback to the lakefront! Your pictures are so cool -- they actually make me jealous of not being in Chicago right now. Save some ice pancakes for me please! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a beautiful day in the city! Hopefully, the lake will save you a few pancakes! :-)

      Delete
  8. Love the Ice Pancakes! I saw them yesterday as well around Fullerton & North Ave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, the one I took the video of was around Fullerton.

      Delete
  9. The lake looks so cool right now! Did you run the stretch between Division and Oak St Beach? There were huge ice rocks all over the path. I had to weave between them to get through! I'm glad you're still getting in some miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, unfortunately I did not make it as far south as Division, I had to cut my run short and only made it to Fullerton. I wanted so bad to keep running, but played it safe instead. I am intrigued by the ice rocks. Maybe next weekend...

      Delete
  10. Nice pictures! It's cool to find the beauty during this "ugly" time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes. It gets ugly when the snow gets muddy and the skies are gray. If the sun's out and the snow is still fresh, it can be cool.

      Delete
  11. Great pictures! It is crazy that the ice freezes and forms like that. The only ice rocks I've seen lately are the huge frozen chunks of snow that fall into my path. I very nearly wiped out on one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photos. Ya know, I never think to make the effort to get to the lakefront in the winter, I really need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE pictures!!! I am so curious as to how those ice pancakes form like that. Those marshmallow-like pictures and the ice-ladder pictures are super cool, too!

    ReplyDelete