Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Has Anyone Seen My Sock?

Running southbound by the lake this morning, I enjoyed a nice tailwind for a couple of miles. I was wearing my yellow ski hat and was quite toasty. However, once I made the turn to go northbound near Belmont Harbor, I was greeted by a howling 20 mph wind. With the temps hovering around 17 degrees, the wind chill was probably about 0 degrees. I needed to better protect my ears because the ski hat alone wasn't going to cut it. So, I reached back and flipped up the hood on my jacket. My ears felt instantly warmer and I continued on running into the wind. However, once I got to Irving Park Rd. to head west, the bright sun behind me threw a shadow on the sidewalk and I noticed the shadow of something flopping around on my head. So, I felt the top of my hood only to find....

A SOCK!
Reenactment of sock incident a mile or two later..
Apparently, my hood has a velcro strip on the top, and a sock must have gotten stuck to it while my jacket was in the laundry. So, to all of you people driving/running by me this morning, I am not completely insane, the sock bopping up and down on my head was a laundry malfunction! It was not so much embarrassing as funny and I laughed out loud for about a minute to myself, which probably made even more people think that I was on something.

Anyway, I had taken some pics of my run, before the "sock incident" of the sun rising in the city:
Walker by the lake
Bus on Irving Park Rd.
LSD going over Irving Park Road
No more ice on the lake
Enjoying the sunrise!
Lake sunrise
I got in a slow 7.5 miles and that includes running with 3 socks (two on my feet  and one on my head)! Anyone else ever have a malfunction of some sort while out running?

13 comments:

  1. Woah! How funny! That has never happened to me before, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha this has happened twice. once I was running and found a sock in my pocket.. the next I had slipped on my tights and found a pair of underwear while running, guess I was too sleepy or dark to notice it bunched up. Not cool haha

    Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny stories. I guess I'm not the only one with laundry problems! :-)

      Delete
  3. Too funny! I have never had a running malfunction. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. This is the best running story ever! My socks seem to get folded up in all my running clothes too! All that static!!!

    How's the ankle?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ankle is doing well. These slower, shorter runs are really helping (I think). I'm trying not to focus on how being cautious will affect my marathon finishing time. I'll just be glad to cross the finish line!

      Delete
  5. Hahaha impressive!

    Love the photos too! Makes me want to catch a sunrise one of these days...

    Couldn't find an email for you here- I found a photo or 2 of you from the Get Lucky on their Facebook page. If you email me, I'll send them to you! My email: hamdog (at) ymail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you should definitely catch a sunrise, although a clear enough day to watch a sunrise is rare this time of year. BTW, I sent you an e-mail.

      Delete
  6. HA! The sock story cracked me up :) My running stuff is always, by default, covered in dog fur, but I've never had a stray sock latch on!

    These pictures are so gorgeous! It's been a long time since I've seen a sunrise over the lake. Now I see why you run so early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Luckily, you don't have to go to the lake too early this time of year thanks to the time change.

      Delete
  7. That is awesome. I've found socks inside some of my pants before, but I've always found them before I went out running.
    These pictures are beautiful. It might be cold but at least it looks nice out?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, unfortunately I was not able to find the sock before my run! :-) Thanks, the arctic air is quite nice and clear. I think it is really nice for running and picture taking!

      Delete
  8. OMG, that is hilarious! Mystery solved as to where those socks go to hide. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete