Wednesday, January 11, 2012

25 Minute Swim. Legs Almost Perfect Now

Finally.  I had enough time for a relaxing 25 minute swim.  Nice to get there a little early so I am not rushed for time.  My legs are feeling better than they have in a year and a half.  I attribute this to 3 factors:
  1. New shoes.  Finally ditched the Adidas Supernova Sequence for Minzuno.  Adidas had made some changes from version 3 to version 4 that made my lower legs hurt.  So, thanks to Fleet Feet, I have a pair of better fitting shoes.  My shins have never felt so good after a run.
  2. Swimming.  The lower parts of my legs get a good, non-impact workout and stretch two or three times a week.  Ankles have never felt better/looser.
  3. Yoga.  Again, stretching and strength workout once or twice a week.
At my age, running 6 or 7 days a week takes it toll, since recovery times are longer than when I was younger.  So cross training is key.  I know, however, that a marathoner's legs have to get used to some abuse to be ready for the marathon, so I will cut the swimming portion down to once a week as the marathon gets closer.  I will eventually replace one swim day with an easy run of about 3 or 4 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment