Thursday, April 23, 2020

Running during the Lockdown

Hey, how's it hanging? The Lakefront Trail is not closed after all! Well, the actual trail by Lake Michigan is, but not this blog which you could have thought was closed seeing as I haven't been updating it for quite some time. Back in 2011, I started out blogging almost every day, recapping almost every workout (pre-Garmin Connect/Twitter days) and then as the years went on it started to evolve into only race recap posts with the last one in June of last year. I did run a two or three races later in 2019 that I actually didn't post about. I got 2nd in my age group at the Hot Chocolate 15k in November. They sent me my "trophy" in the mail. It was the same exact "chocolate bar" medal that everyone got at the finish line, except the ribbon says "age group winner". So now I have two identical medals from the same race!

In any case, I am still running three or four days a week, but only about three miles per run. I haven't been running with a mask. However, all of my runs outside only take 15 to 25 minutes since they're short and I'm consistently 15 to 20 feet from the nearest person at all times as I will literally divert into the street if I see someone approaching on the sidewalk.


As for any other time I'm outside (mainly walking the pups) I have a few etsy made masks that I use.


I guess masks will become mandatory in a week or so, so I may need to get a few more, and maybe even run with one.

There is a one mile virtual race coming up that I was thinking about signing up for. It sounds like it might be fun, although mile runs done on a track are not counted. Maybe this is to encourage social distancing? I've only ever counted my mile runs done on a track towards my PR. I think the run does take your GPS info and factors in elevation drop if you are going for an age group award. I assume they want to keep an even playing field prevent people from getting AG medals if they run their mile entirely downhill!

I haven't had the urge to run long, things are tiring right now and I am trying to just hit that right balance of staying in shape but not wearing myself down too much. As much as I love to run long, there will be time to ramp up the mileage when things are calmer.

Anyway, stay safe and I'll try and post a little more often. Maybe my next post will be a "virtual race" recap!

6 comments:

  1. I think that's the same balance a lot of us are going for right now! Well said that everything is tiring now - I've definitely felt more worn out and low on energy than usual.

    Glad you're still getting out there! I hope you end up doing the virtual mile - the challenge sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's hope things change for the better and our energy levels improve!

      Delete
  2. So nice to hear from you! I say if you feel like running a mile, then go for it :) whatever helps you get out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's good to be back. I think a mile is a good starting point to get me out the door and back into racing! :)

      Delete
  3. My son lives in Lakeview and really misses the Lakefront Trail. He's still doing long runs and being very creative about avoiding people. We live in the burbs and he has actually come home a couple of times just to run the trails in our area. Hopefully things will change for the better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's too bad the Lakefront Trail had to close. Glad to hear your son has found alternate trails near your. Yes, hopefully things will change and the LFT will be one of the first things they reopen.

      Delete