Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My Running Status and the Shamrock Shuffle 2014

So, I have been running. Nothing impressive with the mileage, but running nonetheless. I live in fear that the ankle will act up at any time, which isn't too fun, but I am trying to ignore the possibility of injury and enjoy this running stint while I can.

I have even signed up for the Shamrock Shuffle this weekend! I'm running for the BRC. Scoring for the Shuffle is just like the team scoring for the Chicago Marathon, but our team is stacked with three sub-3 hour marathon runners (including Ken), plus Declan and Lynton who are just a minute or two away from that club. Anyway, only the top four runners' times are counted so my time won't count for anything unless (heaven forbid) two or more runners on the team can't make it. Temps are supposed to soar into the 60s on Sunday so look for a lot of drunk people in Grant Park post-race.

Anyway, long runs are anything over five miles for me right now, and today, I went out for a six miler and ended up running over seven.  Took some pics of the ice and snow (what's left of it)! It was a beautiful morning. The more I read about how people hate this winter, the more I love it and want it to stay for a few more weeks. It's beautiful if you just stop take it all in (twss).

Sunrise (kinda)
A path with untouched snow
Loving winter running
Skyline
Geese sleeping near the edge
I am overly-excited for my first race since early January and am cautiously optimistic that I will be able to actually "race" it even though I will be nowhere near a PR. It's good to be back.

17 comments:

  1. YOU'RE BACK!!! We've missed you! I'll be at the Shuffle too, although it's the day after my marathon, so I doubt I will be able to do anything amazing.

    Good luck on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still can't believe your running an 8k the day after your marathon. Wow! Good luck to you too.

      Delete
  2. You've reappeared! And you're running again! I'll be running the Shuffle on the WRCE team - we're in the division that counts the 4 wurst scores, so my run will count ;) Lynton said we WRCE runners were allowed to hang out with the BRC after the race, so maybe I'll see you Sunday!

    I thought yesterday was perfect running weather, not quite as windy as today! But I'll miss the cooler, crisp air when and if it goes away - I haven't actually gotten to enjoy much of my ideal temps this winter, what with it being in the negatives so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have one of the wurst scores for the BRC so at least I can contribute if we switch divisions! Half of my neighborhood is running, so it should be one massive post-race get-together!

      Delete
    2. By "half the neighborhood" you mean me, Bob and Maggie, right? :)

      Delete
    3. Yes of course and also three people who live across the street from me and three on my side of the street (that I know of).

      Delete
    4. Impressive! I'm not sure I even know that many of my neighbors :)

      Mo, Bob and I are headed to O'Donovan's for brunch after on Sunday, if you and your crew want to join us.

      Delete
    5. If it's sunny out, look for my crew by Buckingham fountain for at least a couple of hours post-race. By the way, O'Donovan's used to be the oldest running tavern in Chicago (110 years) a classic German place called Schulien's. It went out of business about 15 years ago, when I was still living in the LP. http://www.chibarproject.com/Memoriam/Schulien's/Schulien's.htm

      Delete
    6. Will do! I'm in either Wave 2 or 3, so I'll probably be done around 10:15 or 10:30 - good to know you'll still be there :)

      Delete
  3. YAY! Glad you are running again! Hope to see you at the Shuffle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your ankle! I know how the "fear" of hurting it again can be! Good luck at the Shuffle! I'll be there but I'm running with my cousin's husband. Since I'm not in fast PR shape, thought I'd run for fun! Novel idea, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to the land of the living! I've been dealing with an injured knee myself so I've been in the same boat. No need to rush into things and take it easy at the shuffle. Then again your easy is still fast to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. Good luck with your recovery as well.

      Delete