Friday, April 13, 2012

Rolled Ankle + Sick + Hot Temps = New Boston Goal - Just Finish!

I rolled my ankle on the lakefront trail nine days ago.  The ankle felt okay immediately after the roll, and so I continued running, and barely thought about it after I was done.  I had a delayed onset of ankle pain the next day (Thursday) after my last seven mile run.  I came to the realization I would need to take at least a week off of training to let the ankle heal.  Then an intense three day fever started on Friday and did not end until Sunday.  I basically slept the entire time, and I still do not feel fully recovered.  I did not run again until today.


I went out for a one mile run this morning to test my ankle and running does cause pain.  I will see if it can put up with 26.2 miles of grueling up and downhills in Boston.  In any case, I have dialed back my goals from 7:05/mile to 8:00+/mile.  Mix in the high temps (forecast for Monday is now 80) and I'd say that  my goal is just to finish.  A disappointment for sure, as I wanted (obviously) to toe the line at a marathon and feel close to 100% and have ideal conditions.  Maybe kissing all of the college girls as I run through Wellesley College campus will give me needed energy and magically make everything all better....

4 comments:

  1. I am a FIRM believer that when everything goes wrong, the race goes right. My best races were doomed up until i got to the start. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right! Thanks for the positive vibes, I'll need all I can get.

      Delete
  2. Ugh! Stupid ankle and fever! I hope that you have the perfect day on Monday so you can get as close to your original (and new!) goals as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well-wishes! Here's hoping I wake up on Monday morning and all is well with my head and my ankle!

      Delete