Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Race Checklist

At lunch today, I ran my last run (four miles) until my 10k on Sunday. It was windy and rainy, so good training weather! During my run today, I started to make a mental race checklist for things to remember during the 10k.

  1. A 10k is a long distance, so don't start too fast. 6.2 miles is a long distance for someone who has been only run/walking ~15 miles per week. Probably the most miles I've run straight through without taking a walk break is about two miles. So, I need to take it easy especially early on.
  2. Figure out the wind direction and modulate my pace. If the wind is a factor, I need to run more slowly into the wind and then up my speed with the wind to my back. I will let people pass me if I need to into the wind, knowing I'll probably catch them when we turn around.
  3. Finish strong. Try to make mile six my fastest mile. Don't start my kick until the last quarter mile. 
  4. Have fun. I love racing and I have fond memories of running the Lincolnwood Turkey Trot, so I intend to enjoy myself out there!
Running in the rain today


7 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I've run that race. I hope you have the wind at your back and light feet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm glad you're running that trot! It sounds like you've given your strategy plenty of thought. In 10ks I try to keep a tempoish pace until mile 4 and then run the last 2 faster. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your 10k strategy. I will definitely tempo it for the first four to five miles. Since I'm not quite certain of my fitness level, I am planning on reserving the speed up phase for the last mile. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hope you have good weather and a great race, Pete! I remember running that race in 2013 I think (there were probably a few of the Wurst of us!!) and it was a nice course. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember meeting the old WRCE gang up in Lincolnwood. I think it was cold that day, but then again it pretty much always is for that race. Thanks!
      P.S. I just looked at my blog entry from the 2013 race and it was 15 degrees. Also, that was the race when no one moved when the mayor sounded the horn to start the race.

      Delete
  4. Have a blast!!! You'll do great! Looking forward to the RR.

    ReplyDelete