Friday, September 29, 2023

Race to Wrigley 2023 - Determining my 5k pace. Can I go sub-20:00?

On the eve of the 2023 edition of the "Race to Wrigley" 5k, I am contemplating what my 5k race pace should be. I entered 21:00 for my finishing time on the race's entry form, but don't know if that is accurate. I've been consistently running 20 mpw and walking 20 mpw for a total of 40 "on my feet miles" per week.

Since May, my "long runs" have increased from five mile run/walks to 12 mile end-to-end runs.  In April, I ran a 23:xx 5k on a handful of weeks training and a few weeks later ran a 46:xx 10k. I haven't raced since then.

I would love to go sub-20:00 for the 5k tomorrow, but I am not super confident that I can go that low as I have probably only run one single mile at the necessary pace (6:27/mi) in the last few months.

Option A:

If I really want to go sub-20, I need to be aggressive in the final two miles. So that would mean I would need something like:

6:45, 6:30, 6:15, 5:30 = ~19:59

Option B:

If I run mile 1 at 6:45/mi pace and feel I'm maxed out, I will just hold that pace for miles 2 and 3:

6:45, 6:45, 6:45, 5:30 = ~20:59

In any case, about all I've decided is my opening mile pace. At the mile 1 marker I'll make my decision on whether to speed up and go for a sub-20.

Off to run on Wrigley Field!

6 comments:

  1. I'm anxious to see how you do! You just might surprise yourself. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great race! Those both sound like good plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it Pete! Looks like you've got great weather for it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. Yes, the weather was near perfect!

      Delete