Monday, May 4, 2020

McKirdy Mile #1

The McKirdy Mile is a free race series of four one mile races spread out over eight weeks. Each race is virtual with a few rules meant to keep a level playing field since there are prizes. For example, the mile can't be run on a track, the net elevation drop can't be more than 1% and GPS data must be submitted with your race time as proof. Otherwise, the only other rule is that on the weekends of a race you have from Saturday at 12 a.m. to Sunday at 11:59 p.m. to complete your mile. 


Since I'm only running short distances a few days a week to keep my fitness up during the pandemic, I thought racing a mile would be fun to do so I could at least be able to participate in a race and not have to wear myself out with any extra training. So, last week I signed up for the first race in the series meaning I had to run my first mile on either May 2nd or May 3rd. The race also had a race prediction contest, so I put down 5:50 for my time which I thought was safe given my low mileage.


Pre-Race:
I debated whether to race on Saturday or Sunday. My first thought was that if I ran it on May 2nd and things didn't go well, I could always try again on May 3rd and submit the better of the two times. Then I realized this would not be keeping with the spirit of an in-person race - meaning typically you only get one shot at it. Therefore I would only give myself one opportunity to do it.

Anyway, the weather was good on Saturday with temps in the low 60s and I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to run it on Saturday. I tried to figure out the best place to run and decided that since Horner Park is 1/2 mile in length it would give me a nice place to run a straight shot with minimal turns. Then I realized that turns don't matter as much in GPS measured races since your watch is keeping "perfect" distance and you don't have to worry about running the perfect line. Turns do slow you down a little though, so I was hoping to keep it to just a few.

When I got to Horner Park at around noon, the wind was out of the west and as tempting as it was to find a new course which would allow me to run most of it with the wind to my back, I decided just to keep with my plan of running from south to north on the half mile stretch so the wind would be (for the most part) at my side.

To give myself another 100m of "straight" distance I walked across Irving Park Road and walked to the front of McFetridge Sports Center. I timed the stop light so that I would hit the crosswalk just as the light turned green.

My starting place in front of McFetridge Sports Center

After waiting for the traffic light to cycle one more time, I clicked "start" on my Garmin and I was off! 

The Race:
Mile 0.25:  I started out quickly, and I even glanced down at my watch and noticed that I was running at a 5:05 pace. Much too fast. I crossed Irving Park Road timing the lights perfectly and was now in Horner Park. I was blazing way too quickly for my fitness and was risking a premature crash. I kept telling myself to slow down, which I was able to do, but only at the end of this quarter mile. 1:19 (5:15/mile pace).

Mile 0.50: Near the beginning of this "lap" I could really feel my lungs burn and lactic acid accumulate in my legs. I was slowing down whether I liked it or not. 1:24 (5:36/mile pace).

Mile 0.75: I was nearing the end of my straight-away and was really slowing down but wasn't in too much pain. I made my first turn of the race on Montrose and headed to the east - happy to have a tailwind for a moment. 1:28 (5:52/mile pace).

My mile (in red)


Mile 1.0: After running a hundred yards with the wind to my back I made the turn into the park and ran back into the wind. I gave it all I had and actually was able to speed up a little. My watch beeped indicating I had run my fourth quarter mile and I was done! 1:25 (5:43/mile).


Stats:
Official Finish Time: 5:36
Official Pace: 5:36/mile
Garmin Pace: 5:36/mile
1/2 mile splits: 2:43 and 2:53
Place AG: 6th out of 69


Post Race

Analysis:
I ran by feel and ran too fast to start. Maybe I could have shaved off 5 seconds if I had tried to run a little slower out of the gate. Luckily I have three more races in the series to redeem myself! Most of all, I really enjoyed getting back and running a race. I spent the days before looking forward to it and strategizing - just like I do before an in-person race.

Post Race:
Since it was a virtual race, there was no after party - well no official one anyway. So, I ran/walked home.

Next Up:
McKirdy Mile #2 on 5/16!

10 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this race series! I wonder how your time will fare in the next 3 races! It's also cool to get 3 more chances if you weren't happy with your time or want to do something differently.

    This makes me want to play along and do my own multiple "race" series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first learned of it, I initially thought it was only one virtual mile. I love the fact that it is four races. It will be interesting to see if I can improve my time over these upcoming weeks.

      Delete
  2. This is so awesome and I think it's great that you decided to run it once and make that your time. Are you going to run the same course each week? that would probably be the best way to compare. Great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I might run the same course each time. However, it will depend on the wind, so I may run the same course but the opposite direction if need be.

      Delete
  3. Awesome job, and way to beat your prediction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess I'm speedier than I thought. Might be due to the short fast stuff with the dogs every day.

      Delete
  4. Well done Pete! It's so tough not to go out too fast, especially for such a short race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. Yes shorter races tend to make one want to "blast off" at the beginning

      Delete
  5. Awesome work on the mile! I also love all the thought that went into planning your route to get the best possible outcome. Sounds like a cool series to stay motivated and speedy. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It shows me how much I missed even the planning parts of racing: Pacing strategy, wind, course knowlege, etc.

      Delete