Sunday, January 7, 2018

Even Splits

When I ran the Big Easy Half Marathon in New Orleans in November I wasn't in top shape. I had been doing relatively low miles in the weeks preceding the race and was inspired to jump into the race when I saw Shalane mouth those two famous words on her way to win the NYC Marathon a couple of weeks prior.

Anyway, regular readers of this blog know that I am a big fan of negative splits, but for the Big Easy Half I didn't really know how I would fare over the distance (due to aforementioned low volume) so instead of any fixed strategy, I decided I would just run by feel. Well, long story short - my "central governor" was working that day, because running by feel produced some pretty-darn-close to even splits, as you can see by my two half times:

1st Half: 46:34
 2nd Half: 45:52
Final Time: 1:32:26 (7:03/mile)

Although technically I was slightly faster in the second half of the race, it was only by 42 seconds - a difference of 0.6%. in other words pretty darn even.

That's not super interesting in and of itself. However, after recently receiving an e-mail from the race, I went back to look at my results and noticed that they listed my overall and age group placements at each of the five timing mats laid down throughout the race:

So, even though I didn't light the world on fire during the 2nd half of the race via negative splits, I still went from 42nd to 15th overall between mile 3.1 and 13.1 without hardly having to alter my pace. I guess it just goes to show:
  1. A large number of runners positive split by going too fast too soon
  2. You can still have fun passing loads of runners by just holding pace as others fade
Even!

Maybe this could be a new race strategy for me. Anyone else try to hit even splits in distances shorter than a full marathon? 

12 comments:

  1. Interesting! I think it's hard to run negative splits in a race--wasn't you who told me about this? Steady and even sounds like a good strategy to me, especially if everyone fades on the back half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, normally I am all about negative splits, but this time I (unintentionally) tried something different and it was still fun!

      Delete
  2. Yes! That definitely does not surprise me at all. When I started running by heart rate, it usually meant negative splits. It also meant lots of people streaming past me at the beginning, while I held my own pace. (This is always why I line up behind my goal pace when we corral ourselves.) And then I would always pass lots of people at the end when they were running out of gas. I'd much rather have it that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lining up behind goal pace in the corrals has paid off for me especially in distances over a 5k. The feeling of passing others near the end of a race far outweighs the feeling of being passed in the beginning!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I think the marathon is the most likely race to go for even splits in! But it's always a better strategy for shorter races, than positive splits!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have really ever "even-splitted" a marathon. Every attempt has ended up in a positive split thanks to miles 22-25 (aka "the wall")! If I ever run a marathon again, I think I'm going to attempt run a slight negative split.

      Delete
  4. That's really cool that your splits include your placement at each timing mat (maybe that's normal and I've never noticed?). I try to aim for negative splits when I race, in part because I've heard so much about negative splits from you over the years! I think it's a good strategy though, since left to my own devices I would pretty much always start out too fast. I may aim for more of an even split approach in my HM in April though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not normal that races post your placement at each timing mat. I wish it were though! A negative split strategy works well since (especially in longer races) if you get the even pace thing wrong by a few seconds you could be in for (sometimes big) positive splits. However, if you are pretty sure of your fitness and the temperatures are steady, even splits are supposedly the fastest way to run a race.

      Delete
  5. That is really even! I think Desi perfectly executed even splits at Boston - or whatever marathon she ran last year. I’m like you and aim for negative splits- my goal for the Naperville half was loosely even splits- but I think it was still slightly negative but not as much as other races.

    I love the stats whew it shows your placing at various marks along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really close to even splits! I’m like you and generally try for negative splits- for longer races I almost can’t help but negative split. My legs just want to go after halfway. I think I was closest to even splits in naperville but I don’t feel like doing math right now. :)

    I think Desi perfectly executed even splits at her last marathon- or some other marathon last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.runnersworld.com/newswire/heres-what-smart-pacing-looks-like-desiree-lindens-boston-marathon%3famp

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm with you regarding negative splitting the half. My legs are all "let's finish this thing" and start to turnover faster after the midway point of a the race. This holds true for most races except during the F^3 when inevitably the wind is out of the north and after the turnaround there is a 15 MPH headwind for the 2nd half. Then my legs are like, screw this, we're slowing down! Yes, I wish all races would post the mid-race placings. I enjoy knowing how many people I really passed (or got passed by). Desi is a machine on the marathon course, I want to run a marathon like her (dead-even) someday! :)

      Delete