Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I Ran 400 Miles in August

I ran 400.46 miles in August - a new monthly PDR. My previous monthly PDR of 375 was set two months ago. I can safely say that unless I move to a much colder climate someday, I will never run that kind of mileage in the month of August again for the rest of my life! The heat and humidity combo over the last four weeks made almost every run an uncomfortable, laborious, dehydrating slog with drenched shirts and shorts that I literally had to wring out in the sink when I got home. I could bitch about it, but I realize I chose to run in the swampy air and am lucky to have had the energy and opportunity to do so. Even if my marathon falls short of my expectations, I can be proud of myself for pushing through the muck and not bitching too much in the process.

In any case, you can probably tell I'm feeling somewhat drained by my marathon training at the moment. I'm considering taking a three and a half week taper instead of the two and a half one I had planned. I feel I have much much more to gain fitness-wise by getting myself rested and refreshed over the 3.5 weeks prior to the marathon than running an additional high mileage "junk" week and only giving myself less than three weeks to get my racing legs back.
Before my run this morning
So that means next week is my last long week and then it's taper time! I'm looking forward to the shorter runs and maybe getting some pep back in my step as the weather cools off and those nasty "heat indexes" fall off of the weather forecasts. Simply getting through next week in one piece will be my main goal - then I will treat myself to those incrementally shorter weeks and some hearty eating, which comprise a quality taper. I will top off my last long run at 20 miles three weeks out, but that will be by far the hardest run that my taper will entail. Fresh and fit for the start line will be my goal over the next five weeks!

98% of the hay in the barn. It's almost here....

August By the Numbers
Miles Run
400 miles
Rest Days5 days
Average Miles Run Per Calendar Day  (i.e. 400/31)
13 miles
Average Miles Run per Run Day (i.e. 400/27)
15 miles
Number of "Marathon Equivalents" (i.e. 400/26.2)15 "marathons"
Number of Runs45 runs

28 comments:

  1. Yay! You rock! It will all pay off and when the nice cool weather comes you ARE going to have that pep in your step!

    I'd love to see more stats. Did you do a lot of doubles? Any triples? Average pace? #nosy

    I was just thinking how happy I was to break 100 this month (I didn't think I would, with all our house work)! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 doubles, 6 triples. Average pace was 8:15/mile. I think I currently have that fear that lots of runners get of running too many slow (for me) training miles. How can I possibly maintain my marathon pace (sub 6:50/mile) when I'm not running that pace in training? However, I've got September to get quicker and I know that LSD runs utilize my fast twitch muscles near the end of runs when slow twitch muscles fatigue. Add a little race day adrenaline and I should be okay! Right? Right?! :)

      Delete
    2. AWESOME!!! Are you still doing speed/tempos, so you have a taste of that pace from time to time? For my last marathon PR, I ran about 200 miles a month and most of my runs were LSD, with a midweek tempo and one day of speed and I ran a 1:00-1:30 minute per mile faster pace on race day, no problemo. Trust the training. You got this :)

      Delete
    3. I did a few speed/tempos - but more informally, like a few fast miles in the middle of a LR or an unplanned park interval workout with Annabelle. I keep telling myself that speed isn't my issue with the marathon - it's having the endurance to hold pace for 20 through 26.2. So hopefully, I've got that part covered now. Also, I forgot to mention that your 100 miles with all of the house stuff you've done over the past month is phenomenal. When the ground floor of my house was renovated I had about 10 miles a week if I was lucky. A contractor renovated the upstairs so I was able to run a little more, but it still was hard to squeeze in! :)

      Delete
    4. Those fast miles in the middle of a LR are so confident-building! And you have TOTALLY got the endurance covered! I can't wait to see how it goes! I will be out there spectating this year. I will let you know what balloon we are carrying but I bet my friend is in the corral after you :)

      Aww, thank you :) I was so happy to break 100. I just don't feel like myself running so little, but I am grateful I could at all! And yes, even with the contractor doing it, you still have to be there to supervise! First world problems, right?

      Delete
    5. That's cool that you'll be spectating! Yes, let me know where and what kind of balloon you'll be carrying. Yes, lucky to have been able to afford a contractor. Definitely a FWP! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow Pete, that's AWESOME!!!!! That's probably more miles than I've run this year!

    "an uncomfortable, laborious, dehydrating slog" - so like 8:00 miles? :)

    The heat and humidity this summer have been no joke, so that makes this all that more impressive!

    Enjoy your extra long taper - you've definitely earned it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, well it did feel like a slog despite the 8:15/mile clip! :) Thanks - I don't see myself doing this kind of training in August again, unless I move to the Yukon or Siberia! Thanks, yes I am really looking forward to my extra long taper! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow Pete! Amazing job! 400 miles in August is NO JOKE! The most miles I've ever run in a month is probably around 130. And that's not right now. It has been hot and humid this month! But cooler weather is on the way! Hope that makes for a more enjoyable run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. That many miles in the heat was tough, and probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Don't know if I'll ever run that much in August again unless it's unseasonably cool for a few weeks (which never seems to happen)! Hope you're right about cooler weather on the way! :)

      Delete
  4. Shut the front door! 400 miles? Who are you? Are you man or beast? No matter, that taper is well deserved. You are going to have so much fitness saved up, those fresh legs are going to fly to the finish. I cannot wait to see how you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please shut the door on August! :) It took a lot out of me to do the 400, so I'm hoping I can turn into a beast come October 9th! Hope you're right about flying to the finish! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Pete, just wow! I hope I can make it to my spectating spot with Erica before you fly by. Of course speed is important but the miles trump speed and it sounds like you've done plenty of quality work anyway. It has been one tough summer so mad props to you for slogging through. Enjoy the taper and this COOLER weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news that you'll be spectating with Erica! I think you're right about miles trumping speed. I'll put that theory to the test at the marathon! Yes, looking forward to both the taper and cooler weather! :)

      Delete
  6. DAYUM! You're doing amazing! I can't imagine running that much :) although we are working out around the same amount of time each week... Just can't fathom it all being running. I'm so pumped for you on race day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a lot of running. I'm kinda jealous that you get to swim and bike as well as run. I might try a little biking in the fall post-marathon just to mix things up! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, 400 miles!!!! I did close to 200 and for me that was the most I've run in a month. Oh, and I did many of my runs on the treadmill. I am feeling a little burned out and cannot wait till taper time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zenaida! Congrats on your 200 and a new monthly PDR. Yes, I'm looking forward to taper time!

      Delete
  8. OMG 400 miles?! You are amazing! Rest & enjoy your taper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I will enjoy my taper for sure! :)

      Delete
  9. WOWSA. I haven't ran that many miles this year I don't think, hehe!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing, and in this weather no less. At this point I want to move to siberia so I can run in the cold. Good job - you'll rock the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Siberia sounds like heaven when the humidity here is near 100%! I'm so looking forward to fall/winter running as well. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good work! (I'm envious). You know that heat training is similar to altitude training, so you are primed for a great race. Who needs Flagstaff when we've got Chicago in the summer!

    http://www.outsideonline.com/2098556/heat-training-better-altitude-training

    ReplyDelete