Monday, May 16, 2016

Humboldt Mile: Pre-Race Thoughts

On Saturday I'm racing a mile. More specifically I'll be racing the Humboldt Mile which is essentially a loop around the eastern half of Humboldt Park.

Humboldt Mile Course (src)
I'm super pumped to be racing a mile. If you've never raced one, it's like getting a pure adrenaline shot of speed - you just let your legs fly and try to hang on until the bitter end. There is some strategy like trying to keep the quarter miles even, but essentially I'll be running near or at 100% for 5 minutes straight. There is some major pain involved especially over the last quarter mile, but the race is over so quickly that it's somewhat manageable. To this long distance runner, it stands in sharp contrast to any race or training run I've done over the last 11 months, and for that reason it will be exciting to run a pure "foot race" to see how fast I can go.

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time...nothing else matters..I'm free!"
  from "The Fast and the Furious"

I ran the Grim Mile at the Luther North track almost a year ago. Since that race was on a track it had 16 turns. Saturday's race will be on the road with essentially two turns - so, it should be a lot faster. However, whereas with the Grim Mile I raced against five other people, it appears that the Humboldt Mile will have over 500 participants. By the time I registered they were sold out of the first 500 t-shirts! However, there will be three waves, but that still will probably leave about at least 100 people in my wave jockeying for position at the start and around the turns. I want to be up front for two reasons: 1) Don't want to do too much weaving 2) Want to be up front with the fast dogs to see if I can get "pulled along" at a fast pace. Hopefully, this thing won't be a cluster!

My goal is to see if I can break 5:00/mile which I've never done. But since this race won't be held on a track I'm not sure about it being an "official" mile. A sub 5:00/mile in my mind is on a track, so my "official" attempt will come next month when I race the 2016 edition of the Grim Mile.

I still have done zero speed work since last year, so I will be drawing on residual marathon fitness, my multiple daily "puppy sprints" with my dog and whatever mileage I've put in since the Carmel Marathon in April. In any case I'm excited to see what happens!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I had heard about Humboldt but I had gotten it confused with the Humboldt Park 5K. It seems like 1-mile races are getting more and more popular these days! YES on how this race will be over before you know it. I say that even about 5Ks, but to race a single mile? Wow! I like your strategy and I know you have a sub-5 mile in you!!! Go get 'em, Pete!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't believe how many people will be in this race, especially since there were around 50 total in multiple waves at the Grim Mile last year! I guess people would rather run 1 mile than 3.1 miles nowadays. Maybe so they can get to the beer tent more quickly! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck! Back when I was running, I wanted to see how fast I could do a mile ... I was happy whenever I could break 7:00. I think I only did that once or twice. Now I'm lucky to just run a mile at any pace :-\ I would love to get back into racing shape!

    Did you see there is also a mile race on the Maggie Daley ribbon during the summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! How's your running going? Yes, I read a couple of blogs of people who had run the Maggie Daley Ribbon mile. Sounds interesting, I may have to check it out!

      Delete
  3. LOL @ the F&F reference!!!!

    Yes, start in the front!!! I hope it's not crazy crowded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that F&F quote is a classic. I whip it out anytime I mention a quarter mile! I will make it a point to be near the front. Hopefully everyone else won't have the same idea!

      Delete
  4. Pretty sure you've got it in you to break that 5--you've had an amazing spring! I've never done a mile race--my goal would be sub 7:30. I may have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never run that fast, but if I can break free of the crowds and have a favorable wind for the homestretch I could get close to 5:00. We shall see. You should try one sometime, they seem to be getting more popular!

      Delete
  5. I think you'll do amazing. You are gonna rock it! I've never done a mile race before, well not since high school track, HEHE!! I'd love to break 7:45-8:00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should try one. It feels amazing to race fast! :)

      Delete