Monday, February 9, 2015

Inaugural Mikkeller Beer Run

On Saturday, I met up with Xaarlin and Eric for the inaugural Mikkeller Beer Run. The 3.3 mile fun run started from the Northdown Cafe and Taproom on Lincoln Ave went north on Ravenswood all the way to Montrose and back. We had really warm temps (near 50ยบ) for an early February in Chicago. It was nice to catch up with Xaarlin and Eric while enjoying a free Mikkeller Beer and some sausage after the run was over.

Here is a picture of the group before the run:
MRC Runners (can you find Xaarlin, Eric and Me?) (src)
 Right after that we headed out. Eric snagged one of me and Xaarlin with his handy GoPro:
Xaarlin and Me on our beer run (src)
After the turnaround we headed back down Ravenswood to the bar:
The thirsty crew heading back to the bar...
Once at the taproom, we all got our free Mikkeller. Eric and I ordered some delicious Polish sausages and fries. Jeff H who claims he was the first runner back to the bar, sat down at our table and chatted with us for awhile. After an hour or two, I ran the two miles home with a full belly and felt fine. Anyway, did I mention that Xaarlin organized this whole thing and got a mega turnout of 37 people?! She did an awesome job. The next run is March 7th. Don't miss it!

14 comments:

  1. Awesome recap! I'm so happy you made it- and especially that you had a fabulous time!! (And to think I was worried no one would show up!) lol thank you for coming and join us again on March 7th!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a great way to spend a Saturday morning/afternoon. I'm glad that the Northdown has a back room. You'll need it for the overflow of runners in March! :)

      Delete
  2. Obviously there's no way I could have kept up with you, Xaarlin and Eric, but this sounds like such a fun time! I was in the city on Saturday but the timing didn't work out for me to join you all for a post-run beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually ran a very casual pace and had to stop more than a few times for traffic lights so most everyone in the group started and finished within a couple of minutes of each other (regardless of pace). Too bad about you not being able to make it, but hopefully this will be a "first Saturday" tradition going forward. So you might be able to attend one in the future.

      Delete
  3. I'll try to make it next month for sure, but I wouldn't trade the fact that I was driving on the Seven Mile Bridge at the time you guys were running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess you might have been in an equally cool place! Hope you can make it next time.

      Delete
  4. I'll try to make it next month for sure, but I wouldn't trade the fact that I was driving on the Seven Mile Bridge at the time you guys were running :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes. The nice weather and fun crowd made it even more awesome!

      Delete
  6. What a fun event! Xaarlin sure did a great job planning it. As soon as I can drink again I'd love to join you guys.

    ReplyDelete