Monday, October 6, 2014

Chicago Marathon 2014: The Most I've Ever Trained for a Race

For all intents and purposes, my 2014 Chicago Marathon training is in the books. Less than a handful of easy runs stands between me and the starting line on Sunday. As I've mentioned before:
 My preparation for this race is the most I've ever trained for a single race in my life. 

Taking it easy on my 11 miler yesterday
Starting in February, when I came back to running following an injury, getting in shape for the 2014 Chicago Marathon has been my single goal. I ran and ran, gradually building a base from February to July until I was comfortable running 40 to 50 miles a week. Then I ramped up the mileage:


From July through September I got stronger via physical therapy and weight training, and I eventually was able to score back-to-back weekly PDRs in September of 82 and 83 miles. Finally, I started a three week taper to try and get some fresh legs back.

So how does all of this training compare to previous training for my previous marathons? Well, I updated this table that I used last year and as you can see, based on the metrics I used, it is the most miles I've every run to train for a marathon:
Average Training Mileage Before Marathon
vs. Actual Marathon Finish Time (ranked by finish time)
So, since this training cycle sits at the top of the heap, does it mean that my 2014 marathon finish time is guaranteed to be a PR? Hardly. There are many factors to consider other than training mileage, such as:
  1. Track work: I did absolutely no track work to prepare for this marathon. I was afraid of over-doing it. Previous marathon training programs I have done have all included some track work, usually weekly.
  2. How my legs feel: My legs are currently as stiff as they have been in the last few months and I am working at trying to get them to loosen out a bit. Most likely high mileage has put them in this condition. At least I have a few days remaining to get this taken care of (hello recumbent bike and yoga)! 
  3. How I feel: If I'm not feeling it on marathon morning for whatever reason, I may have to pull back and modify my goal time. Also, if I don't hydrate or sugar load correctly during the race, it will have an adverse impact.
  4. Weather: As of now, the weather is looking fantastic for the marathon, but nothing is guaranteed. A strong headwind for the last few miles or a spike in the temperatures could turn this race into a death march.
  5. Pacing: Marathon pacing has always been a struggle for me. This chart says it all.
Well, the best I can say is that if any of the previous five things affect my finish time, at least I gave this training cycle my all. If something doesn't go right, it will be a learning experience for my next marathon. If all goes well then I will have a good training plan going into my spring marathon. Either way, it was a blast getting to this point, and on Sunday I will be running with a big smile on my face!

18 comments:

  1. Its interesting how your race times go down as your mileage goes up! I just started reading a book about the 80/20 rule. I'm not far into it yet, but the concept is that you're supposed to do more endurance mileage at a much slower pace than you'd race pace at. And to limit your speed work (anything over the "Ventilary Threshold") to just 20% of your mileage.

    You may be onto something here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am just focused on mileage. However, I did a race or two and had some training runs that were on the fast side, but no specific speed training. I think Annabelle over at fluencysfolly.com just reviewed that book. Since you're the second runner to mention it, I am definitely going to have to buy it now! :)

      Delete
  2. Excited for you this weekend! Looks like your a big city marathon kind of guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I have yet to run a smaller marathon. I am thinking about running one in the spring.

      Delete
  3. I love reading about your training and seeing your charts... as I track a ton of stats too :)

    I hope your legs feel rested soon! Have a blast on Sunday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love analyzing my training - I try to glean some sort of insight into what sort of results I should expect out of whatever level of training I've put into a race. I think my legs are getting better slowly. Even if they don't improve much more, I will have to run on whatever legs I have on Sunday and try to ignore them for 3+ hours! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck on the marathon! Race weather does look pretty good for you guys this year. It has been for the last couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fingers crossed for nice weather! :)

      Delete
  5. beyond stoked. I will likely be somewhere in the hills when you're running, but I will be with you in spirit! smile big and cheesy, Pete B! You're gonna do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Also thanks for your fueling e-mail, I'm going to try and get my fuel right this race. Also I am definitely going to have fun, smiling all the way. Have fun in the hills!

      Delete
  6. Looks like the weather is going to be great for you this weekend! GREAT job on your training, now enjoy your race! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope the weather forecast is accurate. Fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  7. You did the work and you are going to have a great marathon! Heck, you'll already be home and on the couch by the time I cross the finish line! I can't wait to hear how you did.

    ~Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll be home on the couch, but maybe I'll be having a sip or two of my post-race beer! Good luck to you too! ;)

      Delete
  8. I love your attitude and that you're able to be flexible and know if you don't feel it then you should readjust your goals. Running is so much more than race day. The journey is the real reason we love this sport so much. You've put in the hard work so now is the time to trust your training. I'll be there cheering all day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Yup, it's the journey, not necessarily the destination. I be listening for your cheers on Sunday! :)

      Delete
  9. Looks like you're ready and there's a good race to be had. I'll be out there on Sunday with you (and 40,000 of our closest friends) and hopefully we'll run into each other like we did at the Chicago Half. I hope you continue to feel better and better till the gun and I look forward to hearing how it went when it's all over. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! Hope to see you there as well!

      Delete