Monday, January 6, 2014

S-No-W Fun Run 2014 Race Recap and Video

At the time I registered for the "S-NO-W Fun Run" in Lake Geneva over a month ago, I had planned on racing it. However, over the last four weeks, I have not run a single mile. I have been nursing an ankle injury along with plantar fasciitis. So, I was seriously considering just spectating the race. I'm at the point where I have all but ruled out getting back into competitive running anytime soon. Better to sit out now and heal than to sit out when the majority of races are held in the spring/summer/fall. However, I had paid for this one and was trekking all the way up to Lake Geneva so the question kept bugging me: Would running a "fun run" race set my recovery back? Spoiler alert: I don't think it did!

On race day, I spent the morning in the Grand Geneva spa, doing strength training then Body Flow (yoga/tai chi) class, then lap swimming. So, by the time I left the spa about 2 hours before race time, I really thought I was done with all of my exercise for the day. At that point in the day, I was certain that the race for me would be only for spectating and picture taking. Anyway, after an hour long lunch, I headed over to bib pickup to get my bib, commemorative picture frame and (most importantly) wristband for entrance into the post-race party:
Race Bib Pickup
At bib pickup I overheard some runners mentioning that their "race plan" was to walk a mile and then turn around and walk back to the finish line party. I thought that sounded like an idea which was better than sitting around waiting for all the runners to return, so I went to my room and changed into my Wurst Running Club shirt. I was just preparing to do a leisurely 2 mile walk in the 25 degree temps. I pinned on my bib and headed down to the bib pickup area so see if any WRCE running club members were around. I spotted Maggie and Robert. We noticed all of the other runners were leaving that area, so we surmised that the start line must be in another part of the resort. We followed the throngs to the start line.

Once at the start line, we walked back and scanned for familiar faces until our eyes landed upon Anne, Rachel, Erin, and Kelly:
Wurst Runners Ever
I guess it might have been at this point that I decided to do a super-slow run, maybe a run/walk. I had my camera along so I would take some photos and video of the run. The race started and we were off. We all headed out at a comfortable pace and I took some pics of various WRCE members running. Somewhere during mile one, I started running with Maggie. We ran the rest of the race together. I shot this video of Maggie and me during mile 3 or 4, which should give some idea of the snowy conditions we faced:

Race Video

Here are some random race photos I took:
Random Runner in "bikini"
Are we having fun yet?
The Race During Mile 1
Snowy and a van driving on the course
The Finish Line (pre race)
Due to the snow, the footing was uneven the entire 5 miles, so hopefully this race did not do too much damage to my ankle/foot and set my recovery back too far. I took the pace really easy at around 10:30/mile which is the "wurst" race pace I've ever run, but there was no point in killing myself for nothing. Besides, it was nice running at a leisurely pace talking to Maggie, other runners and taking pictures. My ankle feels a little more sore today, but I would doubt that I did anything seriously bad to it during the race.

I may take another several weeks off to see how my ankle fares, and hopefully I can start doing some short runs in February/March. Since I have been pounding my feet and ankles for several years now, perhaps this injury will take months of not running to resolve itself. Or hopefully it will only be a few more weeks until I can lace up the running shoes again.

Anyway, the legendary post-race party included schnapps, beer, brats, dancing, and plenty of door prizes. A good time was had by all.

I may take a short break on blog posts until I get better, but who knows that could be sooner than I think!

6 comments:

  1. With the lovely weather we've been having, now is probably an excellent time for an extended break from running. However, I'm glad we were able to run together!! I think 5 miles of that crap would have been realllllly hard mentally without a running buddy.

    Also, thanks for showing off your sweet dance moves during the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I would have walked with you! :) But probably good that we did the full 5 miles, I don't know if I would have felt right enjoying all that beer and sausage otherwise. Just kidding, that's never a problem for me.

    I think all of our races have had my "wurst" pace too, just part of the territory I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy the race didn't make your ankle feel too awful! Now is a good time to rest with ankle issues - soooo much snow ;) I am happy you were still able to run and have fun with everyone! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me live this event through your blog post! Get better soon so we can run together again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're resting!!!! I agree with everyone else, winter is a great time to rest and heal. Pushing yourself now will only prolong the healing process.

    Maybe it's time to see a Doc or PT?

    From your post and the pictures on Facebook, it looked like you guys A LOT of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am so intrigued by all of the posts that I am reading about this S-NO-W run! It sounds like one giant party. Glad that you were able to push through and enjoy yourself at the post-race festivities. Incidentally - do you know what the symbolism is behind the way that "S-NO-W" is spelled?

    ReplyDelete