Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Feels Like I Only Go Backwards


"Feels like I only go backwards baby, every part of me says 'go ahead',



 I got my hopes up again, oh no not again..." - Tame Impala

My Boston Marathon training has taken a few steps backwards. In January, I had taken almost 10 days off from training, thinking that that was sufficient time to heal my ankle. However it wasn't. I had to stop running completely because after I finish a run, there are tingling sensations in the entire left side of my right calf all the way down to the bottom of my foot. The issues are likely caused by an ankle injury I got when experimenting with new running shoes way back in December. My failed comeback attempt,taught me a few things:

  1. Just because there is no pain, doesn't mean you've healed. Or, in the words of an athletic training director at UNC: “The pain of an ankle sprain can subside fairly quickly, but that does not mean the injured ligaments have healed.”
  2. You don't have to stick to the plan. Just because I need to run to get miles in, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  3. There are no quick fixes. "Ankle sprains usually need more rehabilitation and take longer to heal than most people allow for." The NY Times.
  4. Healing time is frustratingly open ended. Arbitrarily setting a definite time to return to normal training should not be part of any discussion. Derrick Rose was quoted in today's SI about his return to playing (after his knee injury): “I’m not coming back until I’m 110%. Who knows when that can be? It can be within a couple of weeks. It could be next year. It could be any day. It could be any time. It’s just that I’m not coming back until I’m ready.” Well said Mr. Rose. It's sad but true.
On the plus side, I am not in pain, and I am doing laps in the pool like they are going out of style. Unfortunately, the Boston Marathon is not held in a pool or even a lake. So, with each passing day my Boston race strategy is changing from a hard charging one, to a possible a run/walk combo strategy.  I am not ready to rule out my attempt, but I can cancel and be eligible for 2014 using my Chicago 2012 finish time. 


I am probably 50/50 right now. I won't make the call for a couple more weeks, but I won't resume running until I feel 110% (Just like D Rose). It could be in a few days or a few months. I can't do anything but wait...


12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're taking your time. It is sooo frustrating though and can be such a mental battle to rest and not push it and keep running!

    I agree about not always needing/having to follow a strict plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a battle, but at least I have a little hope! :-)

      Delete
  2. Dealing with injury SUCKS! I'm right there with you, Pete........just trying to take it easy and let my foot get better, but it's hard to watch the days passing by without the mileage adding up. Hang in there, and I'll be out there cheering for you on Patriot's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Yeah, I agree hanging a big fat zero on my mileage chart day after day is definitely not fun! Thanks in advance for your race day support! :-)

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to hear that this is still an issue :( On the positive side, last year it was like 95% humidity, so maybe there is a chance you would be swimming it? I jest, of course. I absolutely understand the 110% thing. Only you will know if its the right call or not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If there is a swimming portion, say 10 to 20 miles, I may be able to finish! :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh I'm sorry to hear your ankle is still bugging you. These tendon issues are incredibly persistent and take way too long to go away. 5 months later, my ankle still has cranky days and I still have no idea what I ever did to it.

    You're smart taking it easy and swimming loads. I hope you will be able to run Boston.

    Get better ankle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, this is actually the third time in my running career with ankle issues and they have all been to my right ankle. I guess that once you injure an ankle you are likely to have recurring problems with it. I am gradually exercising it and the tingling seems to be getting slightly better each day. I am optimistic that I will be able to piece some kind of marathon together, but only if I use caution right now.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear it's taking longer than you thought :( My best friend hasn't been able to run for over a year due to a weird pelvic thing, and she's done A LOT of pool running. She actually found a pool running race in Naperville last Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sorry to hear about your friend. I am hoping that my injury will heal sooner than a year, but like I said, it is better to wait until it is completely healed before starting back again. That pool race sounds pretty cool. It just goes to show that there is a race for everyone nowadays!

      Delete
  6. I totally know what you mean Pete. And Thank you for your wise words. Only time will tell :) Just rest and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unfortunately, we can only look at the game from the "penalty box" and hope to get back in the game soon! Hope you are back out there quickly!

      Delete